Closure of GPA
Due to increased costs and lack of funding GPA is facing closure. This is a decision the Board have not taken lightly but feel there is no other option. The Board have put a plan in place to dissolve the charity with a proposed closure date of 30thSeptember 2018 unless before then we can source some new funding and more affordable accommodation.
What happens next?
- Shop stock will go on sale. The sale will apply to members only with up to 40% reduction on shop goods. Payment for all sale goods must be made by cash or cheque; the invoice option will not be available. The sale has started.....
- Hire Equipment and various other items will go on sale to members only from mid to end of July 2018 – information regarding this will be posted on our website and Facebook page
- Scrapstore goods will not be discounted. All prices will remain the same and there is no plan to bring in any more supplies for the scrapstore as we need to run down the scrapstore stock.
Renewals will be charged at the following:
- Student/Staff - £9.00
- Freelance/Individual - £12.50
- General - £17.50
This covers 6 months up to and including 30thSeptember 2018
- Student/Staff - £9.00 (this will remain the same and cover up to 30thSeptember 2018)
- Freelance/Individual - £4.00 per calendar month*
- General - £5.00 per calendar month*
All of the above new members' prices are subject to a one off payment of £1.00 for Company Membership.
* per calendar month runs from 1stto 30th/31steach month only.
All affiliation/memberships will now only be available to complete when visiting GPA; the option to do this online is no longer be available.
Process of closure - additional costs involved:
As we go through the process of closure there will be costs involved relating to the following:
- Cancellation fees for leaving contracts early - gas, electricity, phone etc.
- Redundancy for the 2 part time members of staff
- Possible engagement of legal support/advice/representation
- Additional postage, stationery costs etc.
What can members do to keep the scrapstore open?
- Post or email in Testimonials regarding how GPA has helped you to provide you/your service for however many years and the outcomes it has helped you/your organisation to achieve. Include numbers, good news stories etc.
- Contact GPA with any support you can offer
- Help GPA with a publicity campaign, involve councillors, papers etc.
- Contact your local Councillor & MSPs
What is needed to remain open and what are the rough costs?
- GPA would need alternative premises at a lower rental cost
- Premises would need to:
- Have good transport links
- Be in a central area
- Have car parking facilities with a secure area for GPA van
(otherwise the van insurance would increase)
- Be approximately 4,000 to 5,000 sqft
In the short term, before 31stAugust 2018 we need £20,000 to survive whilst we launch a bigger fundraising campaign.
Going forward it would be ideal to have funding to cover salaries for the following:
- Full time project Co-ordinator
- Full time Clerical Assistant
- Part time Cleaner
- 2 x part time driver/warehouse operative
- Up to 4 sessional staff to deliver outreach work
We currently only have a part time cleaner and part time clerical assistant. Everything else has been done by volunteers and it is becoming increasingly hard to maintain the GPA on a voluntary basis. Having the above posts would help to ensure the running of the scrapstore, arts & crafts shop and allow us to be more actively involved in communities with outreach workshops/sessions.
- with specific skills to help drive and move the organisation forward
- help raise GPA profile and attract funders and potential sponsors and donators
Current Costs – based on 2017-2018 running costs per year
- Rent £25,000
- Insurance £2,971.45
- Gas/Electricity £3,848.75
- Water Rates £1,459.14
- Telephone/Internet £1,248.07
- GCC Bins £307.83
- Office stationery etc. £318.18
- Van Insurance & Costs £1,893.18
- Building Security £606.00
- Employment (incl admin costs) £10,300.00 (cost is for 2 part time members of staff)
- Volunteer (travel costs) £2,070.04
(volunteers have donated their travel costs back to GPA over the past 6 months)
- Audit/Legal Fees £1,813.00
It is vital we source new suitable premises as this will reduce our overheads substantially.
Please help us through this rough patch; any ideas, donations etc. would be amazing and appreciated by all involved.
We are also looking to set up either a Just Giving or Go Fund Me page and information regarding this will be posted on our website and Facebook page.